Friday, October 20, 2006

IS ABUSE AN EXCUSE?

Is Sexual or Physical Abuse An Excuse?
In the shadow of Foley's betrayal of pages, several teachers having sex with their students, and pedophyles running rampant, I want to give my views on their excuses. So many alcoholics say they have a disease and it's not their fault. So many people use the excuse: "I was sexually abused as a child." or "I had a bad childhood and was physically abused." I say, "So what!"
Before you get angry and upset with this statement, know this. I WAS sexually abused as a child, I WAS physically abused as a child, I WAS mentally abused as a child. My first marriage was to an alcoholic whotaught me that hitting was a form of love. I WAS raped a few times (wrong place, wrong time, wrong choices).
I DO NOT sexually abuse children or anyone. I AM NOT a pedophile. I DO NOT physically abuse children, animals, or anyone. I DO NOT mentally abuse children or anyone. I AM NOT an alcoholic and did not abuse my child as a result. I DO NOT murder and blame it on my childhood. I DID NOT drink alcohol during my pregnancies and then say, "Oh dear, what's wrong with my child. It's not my fault, I have a disease."
I AM RESPONSIBLE for my own life, my own actions, the choices I make. I am an adult, who chooses to stop blaming my responsibilities on being sexually, physically, mentally abuses OR on being raped and having an alcoholic husband. I do not blame my life and problems on alcohol, the devil, or a god.
I AM RESPONSIBLE AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. If you have a problem dealing with your own life, get help, but stop blaming everything on your past. That is an excuse for your acting a certain way, so that you can get away with not taking responsibility for your own life.
I've become so disgusted and angry when I continue to hear: "I had a bad childhood." Those who give excuses are supposed to be adults.TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR OWN LIFE AND YOUR OWN ACTIONS.

No comments: